Friday, March 17, 2006

Letters From: East Peoria - 03/17/06

Woodford County Board must live within its means

Regarding Woodford County Board members, I honestly wish that when the Journal Star begins to give political recommendations, they'd consider coming to a meeting.

Board Chairman Larry Whitaker runs the meetings as if he is a dictator, often talking to board and audience members in an extremely condescending manner. David Griepentrog, chairman of the finance committee, has never once voted his own mind, always taking Mr. Whitaker's lead. We absolutely did not need a county administrator. When it didn't work out, Mr. Whitaker should have taken full blame.

Regarding the 44 percent tax increase, there was a constituent-packed board room waiting the entire evening to have their voices heard against the raise. Board members Ronald Call and Arden Baldwin voted for it anyway. When I spoke, Mr. Whitaker didn't even give me the courtesy of looking up, then dismissed me as if I was just a formality. My husband and I have helped put four kids through the U of I, and we have four more to go, with one entering med school. I can't afford more taxes. Neither can fixed-income retirees and low-income residents.

If the people in Woodford County want consistent common sense, they should vote for Pete Lambie, Gary Jones and Marc Adams. The recent accusations against Mr. Lambie were politically driven, and board member Joel Lemkemann should be ashamed of himself.

We need people on the board who understand the concept of living within your means, just like I have to do every day.

Annette McMorrow

East Peoria

No comments: