Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Pre-Barack Pride?


I defy Michelle Obama to watch one of those Space Shuttle landings (I'm sure she never has) like this morning, or a Shuttle launch and not feel pride in America.

I know she's a little young to remember with appreciation Apollo 8 circling the moon Christmas eve of 1968.

I suppose she was not impressed with the way Americans responded in the wake of the 9-11 attacks.

I doubt she was proud when the United States unilaterally turned over essentially all of its Global Positioning Satellite technology to the world at large.

This country definitely has its problems. But I shudder at someone who has never been proud to be an American until her husband is put into politics. I think this country is a bit larger than Barack Obama.

I suppose she was ashamed of the "miracle" U.S. hockey team defeating the Soviets in the 1980 Olympics.

Sometimes it just takes a little bit of humility to be proud of your country.

No comments: